Vintage-style school charts are an easy, affordable way to decorate your walls. For less than $25 you can fill an empty space on your wall with a poster that reflects one of your hobbies or interests.
I think the next best thing to original artwork for your walls is something personal. Wall decor that you relate to, that expresses your interests, that tells part of your story. We can’t all afford high-end art, certainly not for every room, so in that case, I think it’s best to choose something that reflects you.
I just made a fun wall decor update in my son’s room and in my craft studio. These two bare walls were driving me crazy. But I didn’t want to spend a lot of money to fill them up, yet I didn’t just want to hang anything.
I found the perfect solution. It was easy, inexpensive, and looks great.
I used vintage-style school charts! You can find them for any interest and way they hang makes them feel special, not like any other poster slapped on the wall.
My son is really into rock collecting lately. We recently became members of the Minnesota Science Museum and they have a trading post. My boys can bring in found rocks and trade them in for other minerals and stones. They love it and I love that they’re learning something new each time because they have to give an oral report on the rocks they find to earn points for trade in.
I want to foster this enthusiasm for science and nature as much as possible. My son had already chosen outdoor themed bedding for his room so I was really excited when I found the Mineralogie poster. It fits great with the theme and reflects one of his greatest interests.
I love the vintage-style school chart pull down with his new bed. I originally planned to hang it over his bed but decided to break the wall art hanging rules and hang it lower where he could see and enjoy it more easily.
I was inspired to look for a poster for his room after I found the “System of Colours” chart that I used in my Color Flow Challenge videos. I actually ended up using both together for my video backdrop before moving the Mineralogie chart to his room.
The color wheel chart found a permanent home in my craft room.
My favorite line of vintage-style prints is from Cavallini and Co. They have a great selection and an easy DIY kit for hanging. These prints, which are sold as wrapping paper (even though they’re printed on thick, high-quality paper), make great personalized wall art. They’re sold at several gift shops near me and I love to go see them in person.
One 20 x 28-inch poster with the DIY hanging kit is only $25. That’s an amazing price to fill a bare spot on your wall!
The vintage school charts by Cavallini come in dozens of different styles. Whatever your interests or hobbies, you’ll find one you love. They also make amazing gifts when you give the poster and hanging kit together. (Tip: The hanging kit comes in a large tube. There’s enough space inside to fit the rolled up poster. Then, just cover the tube in gift wrap.)
The DIY Vintage Poster Kits include everything you need to easily give your poster the vintage school chart pull down look. It includes two half round oak pieces with double-sided adhesive to attach to the poster. The top dowel comes with the hanging string attached. They even include the nail. The oak dowels are unfinished oak, so if you don’t like the natural color, you could easily stain them before attaching the poster.
Best Vintage-Style School Charts for Under $25
Because I just can’t help looking for other charts I might love, I rounded up my favorites for you. Where possible I linked to the poster with the hanging kit. For those that don’t come bundled with a hanging kit, you can add on the vertical hanging kit or horizontal hanging kit separately.
This post contains affiliate links to the products I use and recommend. I may receive a small commission on purchases made after following an affiliate link. See my full disclosure here.
- Mineralogie Vintage Chart and Hanging Kit – This is the one hanging in my son’s room. There is a key to the minerals at the bottom of the chart. I believe it’s in French, but it’s pretty easy to translate.
- Vintage Color Wheel Chart and Hanging Kit – This is the chart hanging in my craft room now. I love color wheels, so it’s no surprise this is the chart I chose for myself.
- Butterflies Vintage Chart – Better than having a butterfly collection. I love the beautiful arrangement on this chart.
- Botany Vintage Chart – I’m a sucker for botanical diagrams. Plants are fascinating.
- Cacti Vintage Chart – Cacti are trendy right now, but I’m pretty sure that’s because they are amazing and so varied.
- Dandelion Vintage Chart – I cannot stand dandelions in my yard, but this chart is stunning. Takes me back to being a little girl closing my eyes, making a wish, and blowing on the giant white puffballs.
- Bees & Honey Vintage Chart – Vintage labels are so fun to look at. This poster is a roundup of vintage honey labels.
- Bird Eggs Vintage Chart and Hanging Kit – The colors of this poster are lovely if you like blues and greens, and birds of course.
- Plumes Vintage Chart – There is a lot more than plumes going on with this poster. It’s so interesting to look at the coloring of all the birds.
- Celestial Poster – A key to the stars. Perfect for any stargazer.
- Phases of the Moon Vintage Chart – Learn the phases of the moon (I always forget what they’re called), eclipses, and tides.
Go Giant for $50 (Hanging Kit Included)
If you need something even bigger, Cavallini also has some great giant school charts. They are 20 x 48 inches and the hanging kit shown is included…all for only about $50!
- Bicycle Blueprint Vintage Chart – I’ve seen this one in person and it’s gorgeous. The blue is so rich.
- Floral Vintage Chart – Here’s another great botanical print in a larger size with a neutral background and beautiful shades of red.
- Large Mineralogie Vintage Chart – A bigger Mineralogie chart with different minerals.
- The World Hemispheres Vintage Chart – I love the coloring of this chart. It’s not the typical world map look.
What a roundup! I could look at these charts all day long (technically I already have to put this together for you). So, which one would you choose for your home and where would you put it? Or which one would make the perfect gift?