Finding a way to make good tasting, healthy coffee was a big deal for me on my journey to a healthier lifestyle. When I first talked about our paleo lifestyle, I admitted I am addicted to Coke. And, I still am. But, it is getting better.
One big change I made starting in the new year is 1-2 cups of coffee a day, when I would have otherwise had a Coke. Since the new year I have lost another 5 pounds, yippee!
But, not all coffee is good for you, especially most of the things on your local Starbucks or Carribou menu. I used to be a huge fan of vanilla lattes and anything with caramel in it. To put in perspective, I only liked coffee when it was so heavily flavored and sweetened that it no longer tasted like coffee.
I believe coffee, at least for me, is an acquired taste. The more and more I expose myself to coffee with less flavoring, the more I grow to like the taste of the actual coffee.
My hubby, I am sure in part due to his Peruvian/Columbian genes, is a coffee connoisseur. He introduced me to really good home-made coffee with an Aero Press and freshly ground organic beans. Yum! But, at first, I was still adding sugar.
Then, I decided to stop using refined sugar, and looked for natural alternatives to sweeten or flavor my coffee. This change, and less Coke I drink as a result, is why I lost an additional 5 pounds in the last two months. And, I actually think these options taste better than the over-sweetened, calorie-heavy drinks from the baristas.
Here at my 5 favorite natural ways to add some flavor or sweetness to a cup of joe!
1. Stevia – A great substitute for sugar. Just make sure it is pure stevia extract with nothing added.
2. Pure Organic Maple Syrup – Yum! Sometimes I run out of stevia and use a 1/2 tablespoon of pure maple syrup.
3. Cinnamon – A dash of cinnamon goes a long way. We use highland harvested Saigon cinnamon. It is super strong and delicious!
4. Heavy Whipping Cream – Does this surprise you? This is one “dairy” item that is all fat, and little to no lactose or casein (read more on Clean Eats). It’s goof for you fat! Add it to your coffee for creamy perfection.
5. Butter – You have not lived until you have had a buttered coffee. Frothy heaven! And, it is way healthier for you than you think. Read more about bulletproofing your coffee for lots of healthy morning energy. We use Kerrygold grass-fed butter. Add 1-2 tablespoons to a cup of coffee. We also have the MTC oil recommended for Bulletproof coffee. To mix it well we put the coffee, butter, and oil in our NutriBullet. I like it as is, but you could add any of the above for extra flavor.
I’ve found I like my coffee different ways depending on the time of day. Buttered coffee is a great way to start the day. Later in the day, I prefer just adding Stevia or maple syrup. I love the cinnamon for rare late night coffee drinking.