Are you in a decorating rut?
Like it is just more of the same over and over?
Like you can’t even stand to look at one more vase or basket?
Accessorizing is one of the trickiest parts of decorating. Before you can even worry about getting the styling right, you have to find the right pieces.
To create a beautiful space you must add dimension to your decor. Just like your wardrobe should be full of staple pieces you can mix and match into dozens of different outfits, your decorating arsenal should be filled with staple decor pieces you can mix and match all over your house.
What clothing staples are to a well-rounded wardrobe, decor staples are to your decorating arsenal. Tweet this!
But, seriously, what else do you fill up another shelf with besides more books and vases? What else is there?
A lot, actually.
I have been keeping track of the all the different things you can decorate with. When you get in a rut and feel like you are going to give in and just buy another candle, give this list a look over first.
Just like a tape measure and paint deck, this checklist of 120+ decor staples is another tool in your decorating tool box. Tweet This!
I put my two-page checklist back to back and laminated it, because I use it over and over again when I am shopping for my clients. It hangs out on my studio bulletin board with a dry erase marker.
Get my full Decor Staples checklist with my new book Free Decorating. Click here to check it out.
6 Ways to Use the Decor Staples Checklist
1. When you are headed out to the home store, check off what you are looking for in advance, so you can stay focused and on task.
2. When you are decorating a room or styling an entire bookshelf use this list to get a variety of decor ideas.
3. When you are setting up home or working on a particular space, use this as a checklist for all the things you need in a particular category. For example, if you are organizing your closet, check off all the different storage options you could use in the space.
4. When you are shopping for a housewarming gift or registering for your wedding gifts, consider the unique decor ideas on this list.
5. Cross off all the things you already have too many of to remind yourself to look for something different.
6. Use it for alternate search words when you are shopping online.
Jennifer @ Brave New Home says
Great tips! Thanks for putting this together. I have some new decorating vocab words to look up ; ]
This is such a great resource! Thank you!