The new playroom space in the basement has finally given me the opportunity to do something fun and whimsical. Yes, I am doing a theme room. No, it won’t be cheesy.
Instead of randomly buying stuff to fill this room, and thanks to my Home Spending Hiatus, I took the last few evenings to really plan out the space. I have a distinct vision to make this a magical playroom for my boys. I want it to be fun for them, to grow with them, and to still look amazing with the rest of our home (this is an open space off our basement family room).
I am a fanatic for anything nautical. I love under the sea creatures. I love nautical touches…teak wood, crisp whites, and navy. I actually studied Marine Biology in my first two years of college (finishing later with a degree in Biology, Emphasis in Education). It was a given that my boy’s playroom would have nautical flair. Taking it a bit further into the whimsical realm, I decided to incorporate pirates.
Here is the mood board for a Pirate’s Life Playroom:
1. Moravian Star Pendant in Nickel (Shades of Light) – This is my nod to a compass star. I love this semi-flush version of a Morovian star. Unlike other Morovian star pendants that drop from a chain this one is a fixed height. At only 14″ tall, I think I can make it work in the low (8 ft) playroom ceilings. This mirrored balls light, reminiscent of a jellyfish or octopus, was the runner up.
2. Atlas Tapestry (Urban Outfitters) – Wall-sized turquoise map…need I say more? Okay I will. A pirate needs a good map. I already ordered this about a month ago…it is awesome. I love this simple, borderless, label-less version…it will always be accurate. I will be mounting this tapestry to cover an entire wall in the playroom. I have a plan to make it magnetic!
3. Washed Wood Mirrors (Home Decorators) – Round mirrors, sort of like portholes without being too literal. The washed wood is gorgeous.
4. Milk Crate Storage Bins (Land of Nod) – Super affordable storage. I want a bunch of these lining the wall under the map. I plan to line the crates with canvas to disguise clutter and keep little toys from falling out.
5. Boat Cleat Hook (Coconut Beech on Etsy) – Great shape, available in fun colors. A grouping of them might be nice for hanging up masks and dress up clothes.
6. Teak Play Table (Land of Nod) – This is the best looking play table I have ever seen. The teak is perfect for a pirate’s playroom and the hairpin legs keep it light and airy in a small space.
7. Vintage Industrial Letters (RH Baby & Child) – It would get pricey, but a display of the entire alphabet would be amazing.
8. Animal Alphabet Poster (Ink + Wit) – I have had this poster for almost 4 years and it is still in the tube, sadly. I was waiting for the perfect place to hang it. The colors are perfect for this space and several of the featured “animals” are sea creatures.
10. Pouf Stool (Zeldabelle on Etsy) – Great flexible seating for the playroom around the teak table. Also, cute enough to pull into the adjacent family room for extra seating.