Just when I thought every clever play on words valentine was taken, I came up with my own. We made some DIY magnets with a “Stuck On You” printable tag for our nanny. The magnets feature some cute fabrics from my stash.
I found a nice little DIY magnet kit at Target, which actually spawned this valentine idea. The kit came with 6 magnifying glass stones and 6 self-adhesive round magnets. If you plan to make several of these I would recommend buying the supplies in bulk at a craft store. In addition to the glass stones and magnets, you will need mod podge and fabric scraps.
Fabric Magnet How To:
1. Place a glass stone over the fabric. Position it over a portion of the fabric design you like. Trace around the glass bead.
2. Cut out the circle of fabric. Cut just inside the traced line.
3. Coat the back of the glass stone with a thin layer of mod podge. It will appear milky on the stone, but it will dry clear.
4. Place the circle of fabric right-side down into the mod podge.
5. Coat the back of the fabric with another layer of mod podge.
6. Allow the fabric-backed stones to dry thoroughly.
7. Adhere the magnets to the back of the fabric. We had self-adhesive magnets, but you could also use hot glue or E6000 to attach the magnets.
Packaging and Printable:
1. Place the magnets in a sandwich bag. 6 magnets will fit perfectly across the bottom of the bag.
2. Cut off the top of the sandwich bag about 1.5″ above the top of the magnets.
3. Print the Stuck On You bag toppers by clicking here. Printable includes one sheet with 3 bag toppers; one aqua, one pink, and one lime. Print as many sheets as you need.
4. Cut out and fold the bag topper in half lengthwise. Place the bag topper on the sandwich bag and staple to secure.
These make the perfect last minute valentine for a teacher or grandparent. Instead of fabric, also try using scrapbook paper or photos.