There have been lots of DIY projects floating around for numbered dresser drawers, but most involved painting the numbers on. Although I think the idea is adorable (even more so for a kids room), I did not want to do anything to permanently alter the dresser. Removeable vinyl was the perfect answer. I found this beautiful vinyl at Joanns. It is relatively thick, like contact paper, and has a subtle geometric pattern.
I printed all the numbers with my laser printer in Helvetica font (remember simple fonts are easiest for cutting by hand). I also kept the font simple, since the vinyl already had an intricate pattern. I rough cut around the numbers and taped them to the front of the vinyl with scotch tape. I used scissors to carefully cut out each number, cutting through the printout and the vinyl.
I carefully applied the vinyl numbers to the center of the drawers, starting at the top of the number and slowly peeling the back off as I went and smoothing out any air bubbles. I eyeballed the placement. The vinyl is easy to peel off and reposition if necessary.
I love the pop of aqua on the natural drawer fronts. I also love that these are totally removable whenever I want to change up the color scheme or return the dresser to it’s original form.