I am going to blow your mind with the simplicity of today’s sewing tutorial. With one super easy modification to the easy envelope pillow cover, you can make these boxy floor cushions.
In the video, I used 20″ pillow covers and inserts to make mini poufs for the playroom. The finished mini poufs are 12″ square and 6″ tall. They are perfect for little bottoms. My boys love using them as building blocks for their blanket forts, too.
The sweet ladies at Sew Fine Fabric provided the great selection of fabrics used for the video. I chose fun, graphic prints. I love the ikat dot print so much I couldn’t limit myself to one color, so I went with Aquarius and Storm. The irregular striped yellow fabric is from the Glimma collection by Lotta Jansdotter. And, I couldn’t resist a whimsical gray faux bois print, reminiscent of driftwood or a plank, for a pirate playroom :)
A couple more tidbits before we get to the video:
- If you haven’t tried the easy envelope pillow covers, yet, you can watch the video tutorial to catch up.
- You can do this to purchased pillow covers, too. Avoid pillow covers with zippers. This trick works best on envelope style pillow closures.
- You can also make much larger floor cushions with this method. In our reading loft, I made 4″ thick floor cushions with 26″ pillows. They are great for kids and adults.
- If you are new here, be warned…I don’t iron. I think life is too short for ironing, whether I am sewing or getting dressed in the morning. Pardon the wrinkles.
When editing videos, I have to watch these clips a nauseating amount of times. I learn more about myself and the video process each time. Here are a few of my observations from this video:
- My dipped chair is old and could use some oil. It makes some undesirable noises when I swivel in one clip :(
- Apparently, to stuff a pillow properly you must talk to yourself, make weird faces, and beat the pillow into submission.
- I think the camera added 10 pounds just to my arms…maybe sleeveless was not the way to go for a video featuring me wrestling with a pillow.
- I have freckles on my arms and everywhere else. My oldest is getting them on his nose and cheeks which is impossibly adorable with his dark brown eyes and hair.
Want to see more videos? I made it easier with a Videos link in the navigation under the logo. Enjoy!
Get a Free Copy of my book "Free Decorating"
"This book is so inspiring, I'm a self confessed "decor" addict, I buy anything I think "may" work only to take it home and be disappointed. After reading this book I can't wait to shop my own home and make more meaningful purchases." - Cori I.